Monday, May 30, 2016

Remembering Veterans


A Sleep Up Ambien Production 
Today is one of my favorite holidays. It's a day of remembrance. A day in which we continue to honor the legacy and commitment of men and women who have served in our nation's military.

 I like days of memory.

  looking back at where we have been and where we are going is crucial to the soul of a citizenry. Reflection is a great trait to have.

 As a country and as a people I believe we continue to grow each day when we reflect. Although people disagree and debate policy, I believe that on this day, like many others, Americans come together to honor those who serve and sacrifice. In addition to the countless numbers of men and women who have fought for our freedom's, there have been millions of families over the course of our nation's history who have taken the burden and carried us in other ways.

Here's something else we rarely consider on a day of remembrance. Homelessness. Homelessness and veterans.

Real Stats

I've witnessed, but rarely interacted with homelessness.

  The only time I came across homeless people directly in my life was as a child on my way to Jacob's Field in Cleveland Ohio to see an Indians game.  A handful of homeless would ask for change as I looked away like a limo driver of Bill Cosbys in the 70's. My bad, the 80s.  I briskly walked forward and kept my head up. What could I really do?

Sure, later in high school I did sophomore service to help those that were less fortunate. But that was mandatory service. That's like going into an old folks home reading a book to the group and begrudgingly saying

"My parents said I had to be here to get the car back."

Fast forward to now, I'm reading about a homeless encampment under the I-5 bridge in Seattle named "The Jungle" (no relation to Axl Rose's Jungle) and how upwards of 300 people live under it.



The question on many Seattle residents mind is, how, in both a moral and ethical way, do we help these people and at the same time end homelessness? Or deter it.

What is this 1775 Valley Forge.240 years later? An encampment?!

Now sure, good natured people from both sides of the aisle have been talking about how to solve this crisis.

Every idea from 'why don't they get a working job?', to 'why do you expect my tax money to go to these social services?'

Some have suggested, including Democrat Mayor Ed Murray to induct sweeps to get them out.

I'm sorry, did I say sweeps? Were is my PC Seattle lingo when I need it.

Transitions. RIIIIIIIGHT


The mayor's carefully crafted words reminded me of this classic Carlin bit. 



Other philanthropists have suggested the homeless get treated like uh, people and we usher in physical homes for these said "people."

Washington state is to depression what the Rolling Stones are to drug use yet,

"Washington ranks 47th of the 50 states in access to psychiatric beds, according to the Washington State Institute for Public Policy"

Say what now?


Of course things aren't always so Michael Jackson.

While many "tent citites" are popping up all over the nation, Hint: they're not buying tents for recreation, many people are looking for work or are one paycheck away from becoming poor themselves Just one example. If it wasn't for friends and family, many of these Americans would be living in these tents.

You my be asking yourself where my transition is from Memorial Day to Seattle homelessness. Well, like the 520 bridge during rush hour, try and have patience. See I could conjur up stats about how close to 1/3 of homless people served in the military. Or I could throw out random stats on the lack of mental health services provided to veterans and how that directly correlates to homelessness as many give up.

But I'll go a different route. What does it mean to be an American when we have the money, will power and good spirit, but not the drive?

I moved to the Seattle area almost five years ago. In that time I became accustom to the higher price of living here. Sure houses cost more, apt living sees a one bedroom half bath at 1,300 a month (not downtown). A down payment on a house costs about as much as getting shot by an East Cleveland gang, but you can make it work (with roommate help). This is coming from someone who has a high school degree and barely enough credits to pass as an associates degree. Cue Tommy Boy scene:



I digress.

The truth is, I, like most have it good. So good in fact that when I go camping I can pack up my equipment and go to another "encampment" called my apartment, where, and this is the best part, I can be warm, clean, drink fresh non Flint, MI water, wash and dry clothes, have lights, electronics and even chill my food.

Talk about camping in the modern Era!

It just baffles me, as someone who loves and lives history, that in 2016 instead of Home City, we have a Tent City.

I'm all for people helping any way they can and God knows I don't have an answer. I just hope this Memorial day we reflect on our gratitude,  and change our attitude about sacrifice, service and homelessness.

We owe more to the countless men and women who have wore the American uniforn. So as you reflect, think about the America you want to leave behind.





No comments:

Post a Comment