Monday, August 1, 2016

Grateful for the Dead, and that I'm not.


Grateful (Dead)
American Beauty 




"And it's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there."




I've been coming back lately to the nostalgic past of my childhood. Born in 83', I was lucky to have parents, siblings and peers who listened to some pretty cool music, with good vibes and a good message. 

DON'T DO DRUGS!

No.

Just say No! To bad music!

Well lately as I realized that holy hell it's August 1st, I need to take a summer inventory. 

Maybe it's because I miss the summers in Ohio sometimes and the child hood when my parents played this album more times then I can remember. 

Summer vacations were the best! If it was R.E.M. and the B52's rocking the 90's van, then it was the San Francisco hippie machine that was the Grateful Dead giving me, a ten year old the soundtrack of his youth. 

Let's break it down: 

It's the first of the month in this crazy good year 2016 and Seattle has seen more brighter days this year then a Mormon family reunion. 

What a way to start the August month Seattle!

At work today, on the Macro Hard Campus (a fictitious place I'm contracted out of to work, small time software company) nerds, geeks, and Pokemon Go enthusiasts had heads up and were NOT walking like they were entrenched in reverent prayer; heads down walking like zombies.

This was a day to remember. One that Ice Cube wouldn't have mind making another track with the given name. As I look out my window, my box of rain (it's not raining) I see families smiling and people walking with each other. 


It's kind of refreshing when you're working those forty hours a week (hardly a busy work week). My job is easier then the subtle, yet soft soothing notes of William Hung from American Idol. 

She bangs!

"Said I'm running but I take my time, the friend of the devil is a friend of mine."


That was 177 days ago from today. When I was still drinking, rationalizing to myself that after a long day I needed to celebrate the way Motley Crue did after every day ever. 

I have friends and they're not so much in low places as they are high, medium, low and somewhere in between. 

Tis' life. The good life. No thug life, but we do give hugs! Plenty of Midwest hugs! 

The first of the month isn't just a catchy jingle from Cleveland Ohio rap group Bone Thugs N Harmony. No, although great Barbershop name too I might add!

I can imagine bizzy bone would be busy perfecting his harmony at the Harmony Classic. 

I'm getting off topic as my ADHD, or as I call it, my Always distracting hand dances spitting truth bombs. 

It's a good refresher course to give yourself the outlook that you want to see for the rest of the month, the rest of the year, blah blah blah (motivational speeches!)

"She don't come and I don't follow, waits back stage while I sing to you. She's the summer loving spring, fall and winter."

Marriage has been awesome. Being a father has been equally amazing. I got lucky no doubt. 

We recently visited Eastern Washington, the Tatooine to whatever planet Redmond would be?
Eastern Wa, were the landscape is as refreshing as Listerine (the mouth wash  not the song from the band from the 90s)

Sam, Avery and myself got into the car and headed east to visit friends. 

We had a good time, rolling through the 'pass' and making our way to where the beautiful sand people live.

To live in July!



"She's got everything delightful, she's got everything I need"

My girls make life easier then it can be. They remind me to slow it down and enjoy the roses. And to listen to Guns N Roses.

Summer walks have been a great free treat of exercise and communication. Avery gets to see firsthand what east side traffic looks like.

It's nice knowing that everything you need is in abundance and right in front of you.


 "I can't remember a number I can use."

We have a rule. At dinner, we put the phones away and disconnect from technology. 

I'm trying to extend it longer. It's hard. It's like watching The Bachelor, you know you shouldn't do it but how can you resist to make fun of these people who clearly are starved for attention?

But then, I guess so am I? Why do I need to have the cell phone at my disposal like it's my social inhaler?

August 1st is a great at reminding me, with the help of my American Beauties (Sam and Avery) that I have everything I need.

"lookout lookout, the candy man, here he comes and he's gone again."


I've been eating healthier lately. Maybe it's these Washington summers. They're long!

At 6 in the afternoon the heat reaches its peak. 

I picked up a jump rope and jump and dance to it every chance I can get!

It's been fun. I've even choreographed myself moves as I imagine myself in music videos to great 90's videos I remember as a kid.

I'm trying to bring that back.

My 90's kid. Not 90's videos. Although, they were so cool. 

Sure, the neighbors look at me as that fittingly awkward guy head banging with a speed rope, but thanks to Pokemon Go, I'm no longer the weird one! 

Eh, maybe that's true. Hey,  but we are both burning calories.

Lookout Candy men! The Mcdonald's, Burger Kings, Wendy's. I'm on to your game of getting me in that rut!

I like my ice cream ripple,

"If my words did glow, with the cold hot sunshine"


I can't reiterate how awesome the weather has been these past couple of weeks. I no longer suffer or have seasonal defective disorder as I self diagnosed myself five  years ago.

Therapist: "Yeah, looks like you have seasonal defective disorder."

Me: "No, I know what season it is. It's the eternal WINTER that is my MIND. Can I get a pill or something?"

Five years ago was fun. As Jerry Garcia said,

"There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night. And if go, no one may follow. That path is for, your steps alone."

If there was ever a more successful lyric for my journey as I recognize this August 1st. 

I'm cashing my welfare check to check on my welfare Bone Thugs. Thanks for the reminder.

I'ts not gobble gobble day, but I do feel a Thanksgiving coming upon me. 

As Martha Stewart would say,

"It's a good thing."

As Jerry and company would say,

"Sometimes the lights all shinning on me,
other times I can barely see,
lately it occurs to me,
What a long strange trip it's been." 


So Sleep Up Seattle. And look up.

It's all good.

Reach for the best you can be and give it yo' all. 

Or in the words of the wise Wayne Campbell

"Sponsor or no sponsor I will not bow down to my corporate master.
::Takes drink:: Mmmmmm. That is a taste for a new generation."








1 comment: